with Jill & Team also has specialty classes:
Zumba Toning® takes the original Zumba Fitness® class to the next level utilizing an innovative muscle training protocol and the addition of light weight toning sticks or dumbbells. Created to emphasize muscle work along with rhythms, this combination of cardio and dynamic resistive exercises is an effective use of progressive light weight training to improve overall performance. In addition is the significant positive effect on osteoporosis from weight-bearing exercise. Zumba Toning creates the same party atmosphere as every other Zumba program because the rhythm of the dance is the passion and foundation which keeps participants and engaged and coming back for more!
Zumba Shaker Sticks or dumbells may be used up to 3#. Controlled movements are essesntial when using weights.
Jeri and her students are getting some fabulous results with this class!
Testimonials from them are being spread and seeing is believing!!!
Definitely! Sure, the unknown is always a bit scary, but who says we have to be uncomfortable going to our first exercise class? In our ZUMBA GOLD® class we have created a warm, friendly, and safe environment where you will learn and grow in your personal fitness! This class is designed for people who want to improve their lifestyle, but are hesitant because they have been inactive, are older, or believe they have no dance-exercise ability! This very light, easy-to-follow class helps you gain confidence, increase your exercise stamina, and prepares you to move forward -- all at your own pace!
The best part? The friends you make, the fun you have, and instructor Jenn who is committed to your success! Together you'll work to enrich your life by focusing on your whole body, mind, & spirit for health and vitality!
A whole new you...
...where we want you to say in every class
"I CAN DO IT!"
WHAT TO WEAR...
Wear whatever is cool and comfortable for you -
materials and styles that allow freedom of movement and cooling
yet modest and appropriate for the locations where we exercise.
SHOES: MOST IMPORTANT: WEAR THE RIGHT SHOES!
Some of this depends on how you plan to do ZUMBA®. Remembering that ZUMBA® is both dance and fitness, it may have some jumping if you like to jump! These students will want a more supportive shoe. Others that want to stick strictly to low-impact and/or dance moves will still need support, but not as much. The most important suggestion we have for any location you attend, MAKE SURE THAT YOUR SHOES WILL TWIST EASILY on the floor - ESPECIALLY ON CARPET. This will mean low-tread soles or a shoe slide, etxc. Test your shoes at home or in the store by twisting your foot on the floor. We do not recommend wearing any shoe sole that "grips" the floor or it can endanger the integrity of your knee.
Shoes should be comfortable with plenty of cushion and lateral support. Acceptable shoes for Zumba classes include court shoes, aerobic shoes or jazz shoes/sneakers. They should have minimal tread on the sole and provide optimum cushion and support for dance-fitness classes. Running shoes are not ideal because they have a heavy tread on the bottom and are designed for forward movement (not sliding and pivoting.) High tread shoes can result in knee injuries. Shoe Slides can possibly help high tread shoes to become more suitable. For shoes that keep your knees better protected, try a DANCE SNEAKER (Bloch, Capezio, Sanchas are some of the brands.) However, as great as dance sneakers are for "twistability" on the floor, they lack support. If you need more support than what dance sneakers offer but dont want to have the tread of a running shoe, try BLOCH - LIGHTENING (great for carpet), the Nike Cheer, Nike Musiques, Ryka Studio D, Reebok Freestyle. You still may need more support though. Many instructors and students prefer to put shoe inserts inside of their shoes for more support or cushion. To date, Jill's opinion is that there is no perfect shoe made just for us ZUMBA® enthusiasts. What Jill personally wears is a very supportive shoe with a leather (not suede) sole glued on the forefoot. This gives her the greatest blend of all necessities. This sole can be put on at Dicks Shoe Repair on Laurel for $19. Read below for Zumba.com's new shoes and gliders. We do not recommend bare feet/sock-feet for many critical reasons.
Where do students find the shoes/items mentioned above?
ZUMBA.COM - zumba.com SHOP - The latest dance-fitness shoes from the Zumbawear® line, Z-kickz! Made primarily of breathable mesh, these lightweight, no-tread sneakers made their big debut at the 2011 Zumba® Instructor Convention. Be sure to stop by the Zumbawear® Wonderland Superstore so you can snag a pair to flaunt at all the Flavors, the Fitness-Concert and as you dance down the halls of The Peabody. Also debuting at convention, Zumba® Carpet Gliders help you twist and turn on carpet surfaces. In super cute prints and colors, these little guys can live in your gym bag pocket and easily slip onto any shoes to keep your Zumba moves as slick as possible!
TRADEHOME - White Oaks Mall in Spfld., near Sears, Lower Level. 546-5962
If you are looking for a very supportive shoe, ask for manager Shane - he is great at fitting you with the right shoe for your feet and purpose. These shoes may need Shoe Slides and Tradehome sells them. Shoe Slides can enable shoes with tread to twist easier and possibly safer on a carpet floor. Excellent shoe inserts and orthodics for better cushion and/or support can also be found at Tradehome. For supportive shoes whose soles "grip" the floor too much try:
DICK'S SHOE REPAIR - 314 W. Laurel, Spfld. 523-5233 You can have a piece of leather glued on the forefoot of your favorite supportive shoes for a mere $16. This will enable your foot to pivot, twist and turn easily on most all floor surfaces. Ask for Mark and he will know what you want.
LUERS FAMILY SHOES - 1520 S. MacArthur, Spfld. 528-1012
They carry several styles of Dance Sneakers which twist/pivot great on the floor! However, these are a low support shoe. Luers gives a 10% discount if you let them know you are our student.
SHOE CARNIVAL - 3443 Freedom Dr., Spfld. 546-5022
They have a Nike Cheer and Nike Musique shoe that pivots fairly well - better than most other medium support shoes available.
ON-LINE SHOPPPING: www.shoes4fitness.com
has several dance sneakers and they also carry Ryka Studio D shoes which pivot fairly well with medium support. RECENTLY ADDED to the pickings are BLOCH LIGHTENING which students are raving about. They pivot very well. Receive a 10% discount with this code: "Jillfit48". Register before purchase. Their dance sneakers tend to run small so size up a bit... .
These slip on over shoes you already own: YOU CHOOSE YOUR TRACTION! They allow your hips to move more freely and may help reduce the risk of twisting knee injuries - even on carpeted surfaces with the X - wide version. Go to www.slip-ons.net
ZUMBA®, has a magazine called Z life! For a subscription, fill out the subscription form online at zlifemag.com. Single copies are available in limited supply for $5.95 plus shipping and handling at zumba.com/us/shop.
Because we are fitness combined with Latin dance, our steps are larger. For example, Salsa dancers keep their feet much closer to the center allowing the movement to increase in the hips! This is good to know if you go out salsa dancing! You might want to keep your feet a little closer and let those hips go a little looser!!!
CALORIES BURNED??? Up to 1,000 calories an hour can be burned while having fun at Zumba!
And what a stress reliever!
* I want to tell you how much I have enjoyed the Zumba classes! What makes it so fun is that you can join at any level and there are so many
different people there that no one cares what the other is doing or how they look! I have spread the word to several people and some co-workers have
now joined the fun. These are women that have not felt comfortable in other exercise environments. - Judy L.
* I just want to let you know how much I enjoy your Zumba classes. Even though I have only gone twice, I'm hooked! I feel great after each workout. I look forward to the next time I can take one of your classes. Thanks again for Zumba! - Jeremy
* A huge hug goes out to every one of you. I have either befriended you or been to your classes, and you all serve as an inspiration to me. You have all encouraged me, supported me, and taught me well. 18 months ago I didn't think I could ever survive a regular Zumba class because I could barely make it through a Gold class. Today, I can not only survive a regular Zumba class, but often kick it up to at least level 2! I have all of you to thank. I have loved being a part of this family and I am so excited to help our Zumba family grow. - Jennifer Schwitek
* It was great meeting you. I love the energy of the zumba class and the non judgmental attitude of the community. I still feel pretty uncoordinated, but I love moving my body in zumba. After watching the class, my daughter says she wants to participate next time. Thank you so much for creating such a positive, healthful community. - Michael Susko
* I love coming to your classes - they have made a huge difference in my attitude and will power to get this weight off! Thanks for the boost! - Sharon Wanamaker
* When I tried my first class I had no idea how much fun I would have! This is HUGE for me - I haven't taken any exercise classes or joined any health clubs for 15 - 20 years. I plan to keep enjoying this! - Michelle C.
* At 70 years old, I can say I finally found an exercise that is FUN and that I can live with! I have been searching all my life (literally) for an exercise program that did not seem as though it was torture. Throughout my life, exercise hasn't been one of my favorite things to do, even though I know it is good for my health. Now, finally, at age 70, I have found Zumba. It is the most fun and greatest exercise that I have ever done that I have stuck with now for almost a year. I look forward to the classes, the instructors, and my fellow Zumba participants. I have made lots of friends, also, in Zumba. The instructors are top notch, caring, easy to follow, and the music is great, also! I feel so much better since I have started Zumba. I would encourage anyone who hated the traditional exercising to try out Zumba (especially if you like good music and dancing) and, like me, be able to look forward to Zumba classes. P.S. I am a snow bird and continue with Zumba in Florida. If I don't go to class, I feel like I have really missed out!
- Marilyn Kelley, Springfield, Illinois
* I went to my first ZUMBA class in September 2010 and fell in love with it instantly. I was worried at first because I have two left feet and thought I would fail miserably at it. The beauty of ZUMBA is you don't have to move like everyone else - you move the way your body allows you to and it's okay. You're not judged - you just have to have fun. This is the only exercise I really enjoy and miss if I'm not able to go.
I was diagnosed with Cancer in December 2010 and I can honestly say that ZUMBA was what got me through the chemo and radiation. It gave me something to look forward to, gave me something to think about rather than cancer and treatments. Although there were times when I was so exhausted from treatments I didn't know if I could get through a class, I went anyway. Granted I had to give up some of my classes, had to cut down the intensity of what I did, and even had to stop during some routines, but the bottom line was they made me feel better. I felt that if I could continue with the classes that the cancer wasn't beating me - I was beating it.
Another huge advantage is the changes it makes to your body. I have lost almost 40 pounds since starting in September which is great, but what excites me most is the inches I've lost. I learned a long time ago not to become obsessed with the numbers on the scales. I gauge my success on how my clothes fit. I am now wearing pants I haven't been able to wear for three years. That is success in my book. I bought new shorts just a month ago that fit, now I have to take tucks in them to be able to wear them.
Everyone should try ZUMBA, you'll be hooked - I was. - Janet M. Smith
WHAT IS IT??? The latest buzz word in fitness, that's what!
Functional fitness exercises train your muscles to help you do everyday activities safely and efficiently. They help your body be capable of doing real-life activities in real life positions. Conventional weight lifting isolates muscle groups in an idealized posture and these are beneficial exercises to do, but a mix of both conventional and functional is better. The key to functional exercise is integration... teaching all the muscles to work together rather that isolating them to work independently. It uses various muscles in the upper and lower body at the same time and emphasizes core stability. For example, instead of using just the elbows, a functional exercise might involve the elbows, shoulders, spine, hips, knees and ankles. It can be much more challenging than a weight machine! And, it improves your balance too! This type of training, properly applied, can make everyday activities easier, reduce your risk of injury from muscle imbalances and improve your quality of life. Without integration, strong muscles get stronger and the weak ones stay weak, and you create a pattern of compensation.
Examples of funtional fitness movements? Just watch your life - simulate common movements you might do at work, home or in sports: picking up a sack of groceries, a nurse transferring a patient, playing a game of basketball with your kids or grandkids, retrieving a heavy box from an upper shelf, putting luggage in your trunk, etc. You get the idea... keep it moving - all - strong - together!